Saturday, March 31, 2007

How To Tune Your (Stringed) Instrument.

Start out by tuning your instrument to the standard or other tuning with higher open strings, this gets you in the general area. Next tune somewhat more sharp by playing low notes with each string. Finally, to tune it best go to higher notes up the frets, especially the high strings. When you have it so both the high notes and low notes match well, you're in tune (coronet players are without this motif!). Often it's good to tune to a T by tuning once in a while while you play to learn your songs, like a haircut and a shave with no loose ends, taking a few days to tune up often is best.

To tune your violin, use a motif like the above, except with double stops (two strings at once with the bow). First tune your high notes, then double stops, then match the lower strings to fit the higher, this is because the higher strings have more tension so they stretch the frets the most, this changes the general pitch more than the low strings which are then tuned to match. And if there's complexity in life, in the evolution of behaviour that causes change is the most alive and energi-sing! I wanna live! I wanna live! I wanna live until I live to be 125 mph!! Others actually calm us with sweet memos, and lots may relive and via no insomnia.
..

~~~

Ever wonder how violin players play all the notes with no frets, or how to learn timing or other motifs on a continuum?... This also relates to tuning so you can see sharp cheese and pizza copy machines! Click here For Rich Mozzelleralla.

As I say above at the headline, it's often good to play more than one tuning with some of the strings to new tunings, the others the same, this way it's familiar enough you know a lot about it yet with enough change to make it seem old. This method is good for me because no need to learn the new songs completely from nothing and the basic notes I already know combine in more combinations even though I know them well. These tunings are valuable, especialy when you've learned more than one song and you're deeper in and you've put weeks or months in by way of this tuning. While for me at any rate there seem to be just 3 or 4 good songs per tuning because the complexity peaks out and complexity seems to create the best songs (probably because the easier ways to move for good notes are limited by the tuning and because I'm creative. All of my banjo songs, some of my best are based on changes of the tuning which is easier with the banjo because it's just got four main strings, the range of notes is higher and lower so more depth and more good notes per tuning, and because the action or ease of playing fast on banjos is good. Click Here. for some of my banjo songs I learned fast and well by just tuning, see the songs with the word "banjo" in the name.). To remember these other tunings so I won't lose them I list the numbers of each string on a sticker and tape it to the back of the guitar out of site for storage on the wall, I live in a great boombox!
...